How to Make Denim Shorts Chic

How to Make Denim Shorts ChicHow to Make Denim Shorts ChicHow to Make Denim Shorts ChicHow to Make Denim Shorts ChicHow to Make Denim Shorts ChicHow to Make Denim Shorts ChicHow to Make Denim Shorts ChicHow to Make Denim Shorts Chic

Shorts: Gap // Shirt: Anthropologie // Hat: Nordstrom // Sandals: Target (Similar here and here) // Bag: Nordstrom (Similar here and here) // Rings: Kendra Scott, Asos // Necklace: Kendra Scott // Watch: Michael Kors // Sunnies: Francesca’s (Old) // Earrings: Kendra Scott (Similar here)

Hello, friends! I hope you all had lovely weekends. Mine was spent doing my favorite things: relaxing and being lazy. Netflix and takeout sushi are bae. πŸ™‚ So today’s post is all about taking a staple that’s in everyone’s closet and making it a prettier, chic-er version of itself.

I, personally, don’t wear shorts often. It’s an insecurity issue, and I feel more comfortable wearing dresses and skirts. Sometimes, however, the temperatures are just too high to wear anything else. Denim shorts (sometimes referred to as jorts) get a bad rep, but I can totally get on board with them when they have the right fit. The pair I’m wearing aren’t exactly high waisted, but they do hit right above the hips and provide a good place to tuck in a cool t-shirt. These are also a little bit distressed, giving it a modern look without being over the top.

This top has turned into a favorite of mine. It’s super comfy and can be paired perfectly with jeans, skirts, and shorts. I got this one on sale at Anthropologie awhile back, but it’s available now in Fall colors at the full price.

These sandals are one of the five pairs I got on sale at Target a couple of weeks ago. I am obsessed with the look of these, but unfortunately, they’re pretty uncomfortable. They gave me blisters after a few minutes of wear, so I wouldn’t recommend purchasing them unless you can go to the store and walk around in them for a couple of minutes. Check out all of the items I’m wearing here:

Thanks so much for coming by the blog today! Please stop by my social media channels (find links in the menu and sidebar) to further support and see daily inspiration. Have a wonderful start of the week.

XO,
Cameron

45 Comments

August 10, 2015 / 9:35 pm

Thanks so much, Molly! The right pair of shoes can certainly make a casual look feel a little fancy. πŸ™‚

1. August 10, 2015 / 2:17 pm

Great styling tips for the “jorts”… I love mine and throw them on a lot in the summer!
    xx, Karen
    Glam Karen

August 10, 2015 / 9:36 pm

Thank you, Karen!

2. August 10, 2015 / 2:26 pm

It’s so sad it’s already Monday, but at least Friday is only 4 days away! I love how you dressed up this outfit & made it even more chic with the accessories πŸ™‚ xx

August 10, 2015 / 9:37 pm

Right?! Where do the weekends go? The Summer needs to slow down. Thanks so much for the sweet words!!

3. August 10, 2015 / 2:28 pm

I LOVE denim shorts- I wear them all the time and couldn’t live without them! I do agree that there are ways to wear shorts chicly though.
    elle
    Southern Elle Style

August 10, 2015 / 9:39 pm

You for sure know how to pull off a pair of denim shorts! Hopefully I’m doing them a justice. πŸ™‚

4. August 10, 2015 / 3:26 pm

Love this look!!! And those shoes are fabulous!

August 10, 2015 / 9:40 pm

Thanks so much, Monica! So glad you like them. I just wish they were a little bit more comfortable. πŸ™

August 10, 2015 / 9:41 pm

Thank you, Amanda!

5. August 10, 2015 / 7:39 pm

I love the pops or turquoise in your outfit! They look fantastic with that orange tee!
    xx, Victoria
    memphismadeblog.com

August 10, 2015 / 9:42 pm

Thanks so much, Victoria! I am definitely loving turquoise this Summer!

6. August 10, 2015 / 8:47 pm

Love this look and those sandals are so perfect for this outfit. I just ordered a pair of denim maternity shorts and I hope I can look half way as chic pulling them off as you do!:) xo
    McKenna
    stylewaltz.com

August 10, 2015 / 9:42 pm

Thanks so much for the kind word,s McKenna! I have no doubt you will be able to pull any and everything off flawlessly.

7. Laura
    August 10, 2015 / 10:35 pm

Awwww cutie little cam!!! love this look. bummer about the sandals + blisters. reminds me of the painful san diego day with my birkenstocks

August 14, 2015 / 12:40 pm

Ugh that was so sad! Haha! But these do the exact same thing yours were doing. The shoes are so cute but I can’t wear them! Ugh. I miss you!

8. August 11, 2015 / 12:23 am

I love how you made those shorts so chic and cute!!!
    I also love that pineapple tote!!

xoxo
    Brooke

August 14, 2015 / 12:41 pm

Thanks so much, Brooke! This bag has been at the pool with me every day this summer. πŸ™‚

August 14, 2015 / 12:42 pm

Thank you, Briana! The sandals are so fun. Glad you like them!

9. Kyla Currier
    August 11, 2015 / 1:17 pm

I love everything about this outfit! You made the denim shirts look so good! Orange is my favorite color so I love the way that shirt is styled!
    xo, Kyla – KyMarieC / @kycurrierlewis

August 14, 2015 / 12:43 pm

Thanks so much Kyla!! That means a lot (I’m always really self-conscious when I wear shorts). Orange is such a great summer color, so I had to make sure I shared this top with you all. It’s so cool and comfy. Glad you like it!

10. August 11, 2015 / 1:21 pm

My best friend in college was the same way with jeans… absolutely refused to wear them. I actually don’t think she wears shorts either! I live in GA and have to wear them pretty much 10 out of 12 months of the year haha love how you styled these and I think you look great!

August 14, 2015 / 12:46 pm

Hi Samantha! Me and your best friend from college would have had a ball discussing our discomfort in jeans and shorts! Insecurities can be so silly and obnoxious. When it’s 100 degrees outside, there really is no way around wearing shorts! Thanks so much for the kind words! I hope your friend has grown more comfortable in jeans. I’m sure she looks great in them.

August 14, 2015 / 12:47 pm

Thanks so much, Darcy, for your sweet words! I’m so glad you like the sandals! πŸ™‚

11. August 11, 2015 / 2:31 pm

I am so glad you did a post on this because I have the exact shorts and had no idea how to make them chic, until now! Love the sandals and bag!

xo Ivette

August 14, 2015 / 12:47 pm

Ivette, although I’m sure you look chic in whatever you pair with your shorts, I’m so glad to hear this post may have given you some ideas on how to style them!! Thanks so much!

12. August 11, 2015 / 4:19 pm

These shorts look great on you! I am also a little self conscious about wearing shorts and prefer dresses but sometimes the heat makes it difficult not to wear them! You look great!

Natalie

August 14, 2015 / 12:50 pm

Hi Natalie! Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I’m glad to hear that I’m not alone on the anti-shorts thing, but I hate that the insecurity is there in the first place! I’ve kept up with your posts, and you look great in everything.

13. August 11, 2015 / 6:13 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t really like shorts! I actually just tossed ALL of my shorts – they were just ill fitting and not cute so I decided I would just start fresh! This pair is super cute and I love how you made them look chic and trendy!

August 14, 2015 / 12:51 pm

That’s a great idea, Valery. Maybe I should just start fresh next summer and get new shorts that I’m more comfortable in. This sounds like an excuse to go shopping, and I’m always up for a good shopping trip. πŸ™‚

14. August 11, 2015 / 8:34 pm

I love dressing up denim! I do it almost everyday! Love this look! Those shoes are fab!!!!

Sportsanista

August 14, 2015 / 12:52 pm

Thanks so much, Mary! I love that denim is so versatile. You can dress it up one day, and dress it down the next. I’m so glad you like these shoes!! πŸ™‚

15. August 11, 2015 / 9:52 pm

Love this casual look on you, denim shorts are a favorite. And I LOVE the jewels on your shoes!

August 14, 2015 / 12:52 pm

Thanks so much, Jessica! Glad you like the embellished sandals. πŸ™‚

16. August 11, 2015 / 10:21 pm

I love this look! This kind of chic casual feel is my go-to! You are gorgeous and I love that tote!

Xo,

Brittany || Pretty & Sassy

August 14, 2015 / 12:54 pm

Thanks so much for the sweet words, Brittany! Chic casual is definitely the best for day-time activities.

17. Brooke
    August 12, 2015 / 12:22 pm

I’m like you, I don’t wear shorts very often…if you don’t have the right fit they can fill constricting so I also would rather live in dresses and skirts. But these shorts look super comfy and you styled them perfectly…casual yet chic!

xo,
    Brooke | KBStyled

August 14, 2015 / 12:55 pm

Hi Brooke! YES… you took the words out of my mouth. Sometimes shorts are just uncomfortable, and dresses and skirts are just cooler (temperature) and easier to throw on and go.

August 14, 2015 / 12:55 pm

Thanks so much, Amanda! Glad you like the embellished sandals. πŸ™‚

18. August 17, 2015 / 10:55 am

adorable! and that bag is too cute!!