As we close out another year, I want to take some time to reflect on everything that’s happened. Life can be overwhelming, and sometimes, it can be easier to focus on the bad over the good. But when I sat down to think about everything Cody and I did this year—all of the weddings, newborn babies, new jobs, engagements, and travels—it was hard to feel anything but love and happiness. Here are a few highlights from 2017:
1) Bought a house with Cody!
2) Started a new job.
3) Celebrated our one-year wedding anniversary.
4) Witnessed Cody’s best friend, Brad, tie the knot.
5) Helped my best friend’s boyfriend, Brian, set up a surprise proposal. She said yes!
6) Visited San Francisco to see Megan, one of my sweet roommates from college, marry the love of her life, Lane.
7) Watched Brittany, another beautiful friend of mine, get engaged in a room full of family and friends!
8) Went on vacation with my family in Florida.
9) Was asked to be co-matron of honor for two of my best friends, Ashley and Brittany!
10) Went to a bachelorette party in Cabo.
11) Bought Taylor Swift tickets in Nashville.
12) Visited Houston to see one of Cody’s best friends from college, Bryan, marry his bride, Mari!
13) Celebrated my late papa getting inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.
14) Landed my biggest blog sponsorship to date.
15) Met two sets of our married friends’ newborn babies.
16) Celebrated my brother accepting his first job out of college.
17) Had a sleepover with my best friends in our new house.
I mean, what a helluva year. There’s so much to be thankful for. When I look at this list I can’t help but smile.
But despite all of the goodness life gave in 2017, there was also some hurt this year, the greatest being that my dad’s mom passed away over the summer. That was painful, but my whole family rallied together and got through it. We also received bad news about my mimi, my mom’s mom. We just finished celebrating Christmas, and I’m grateful she was well enough to travel to Dallas to visit—even if she wasn’t feeling well.
I know 2017 was more difficult on a lot of people than it was enjoyable. Some days were hard on all of us. On many occasions, I couldn’t surmise the energy to turn on the news or read through my news feed given the current state of the world. My heart and prayers go out to those who have suffered this year, as well as to those who caused others to suffer.
For me, I can’t complain about how 2017 went. I am healthy. My husband is healthy. My family and friends are healthy. We have shelter and food. And most importantly, we have each other.
If 2018 can deliver on those fronts, I have no doubt it will be our best year yet.
Happy New Year,